It’s been a rigtale tradition to compile a year end summary highlighting significant events in my life. I started 2014 with no real goals, and a lot of angst. I finished the year with clear goals and peace of mind. So here’s the highly anticipated year end report! Enjoy.
1. In a fit of rage, I kicked and shattered a mirror in the staff house elevator in Doha. I had a meeting with HR about it. It was embarrassing. Soon after, they installed cameras in the elevators of my building.
2.I got kicked off a rig, and subsequently banned from Qatar Petroleum offshore jobs. [A tremendous blessing.]
3. I boarded over 25 plane flights.
4. I had my passport stamped in 8 different countries.
5. I visited Robben Island.
6. I got my PADI open water, advanced open water and enriched air diver certifications.
7. I’ve been SCUBA diving in 3 different countries.
8. I spent more than a full calendar year without returning home.
9. I got a speeding ticket in France, which my father intercepted in the mail. My father intercepts all my post.
10. I had a psychologist. She helped me.
11. I started playing soccer again.
12. I tore a muscle. For the first time. I felt so old.
13. I went over a full year without hugging or even seeing my parents. It changed me.
14. I really struggled at work. I also really thrived at work. Sometimes, I didn’t know the difference.
15. I made new friends.
16. I approved and signed someone’s promotion.
17. I spotted three grey hairs on my head. I felt so old.
18. I moved rooms to have roommates. We do roommate things.
19. I swam on both sides of the Mediterranean Sea, the Red Sea, the Arabian Gulf, the Atlantic Ocean, and the Great Australian Bight
20. I saw the southern hemisphere for the first and second times.
21. I went to sleep many nights thinking to myself, “My mom is the only person who really understands me.”
22. I held a Koala. It held me back.
23. I got athletes foot on a rig. I cried from disgust at myself.
24. I won a highly competitive industry challenge with my co workers and teammates. (see maerskoilandqpchallenge.com)
25. I didn’t sweat the small stuff. I didn’t loose sleep.
26. I let go of not letting go.
27. I ended the year by seeing my parents. I now really know the meaning when “nothing changes”